Missing basic elctronic components

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Well, in general this project is great idea but how it come that basic electronic components like BJT (NPN&PNP) are missing?! Not even speaking about UJT, PUT, Thyristor, DIAC, TRIAC, Zener, Shift registers, 555, etc really basic components.

Also why so some of components have single representation like MOSFET?

Seems more as a project to suit somebody's personal needs for few simple drawings instead as stated in description:

"Circuit Diagram enables you to make electronic circuit diagrams and allows them to be exported as images. Ideal for use in coursework, you no longer have to use image editing programs to paste components together."

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I'm glad you think the project is a good idea, and I hope you find it useful.

About the components you mentioned:

• Zener diodes are already supported, they are found by placing a diode and right clicking on it and choosing the option "Zener Diode"
  • BJTs are coming in the next update (for both NPN and PNP)
  • For MOSFETs, both N-channel and P-channel will be available in the next update

Unfortunately, all components cannot be added at once due to the time involved, but hopefully all of the components you mentioned will be supported eventually.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

The latest releases are really great!

I am planing to use your application for drawing some schematics for my Netduino tutorial. Currently I am using Online Circuit maker. It is not bad but it is very difficult sometimes to move stuff around, especially elements are overlapping. I also investigating Schematic but I think your application far better and easier to use. Only struggle for me at the moment is that elements library is still very short :(

Is there anyway I or other guys, interested in this project, can help you on creating more elements?

One thing that can be a potential bug is: on the screenshots I can see a PNP transistor aside NPN but when I install the app, I see only NPN transistor and slidebar is not opening neither on mouse over neither on click?! I tried under XP and Windows 7.

Any ideas why this can be?

Cheers

PS Right, I've got it working - have to press the mouse button and keep it pressed for a half a second, then rest of the elements appear. But this way of showing the bar is a bit of unexpected. Simple click will be more obvious, I think :)

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Hi, it's great that you're going to be using Circuit Diagram for your tutorial, and I'm pleased that you find it easy to use.

I realise that people would like more components, and I try to add those that are requested in new releases - custom components are a possibility for a future version (if there are any specific components that you would like to see, you can add them at http://www.circuit-diagram.org/future).

The idea behind the toolbox is similar to how other programs such as Photoshop work, where holding the mouse down reveals the other options. This makes it easy to choose the most recent item with a single click without the whole list opening.

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:40 AM
I noticed the latest stable version has components the beta version does not. I tried to exporting the components but unlike the beta they don't seem to have individual files. I would like to use motors and speakers in the beta version as well.
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
These components were supposed to be included in Circuit Diagram 2.0 Beta 2 - I have now updated the download so that these components are included.

If you download and run the new installer, these components will become available in Circuit Diagram.